If you’re an Oracle DBA, love SQL, and manage a large number of databases, then Method5 is the program for you.
The automation gap.
Oracle DBAs have tools to automate pre-defined tasks, like database patching and application deployments. But those tools don’t help with unexpected operational problems that take up so much time.
When DBAs solve a problem they rarely spend the time to find, fix, and prevent the problem from happening on other databases.
SQL, PL/SQL, and the relational model can make the solution easy, but the solution is stuck inside a single database. Nobody has time to connect to every database and check for a problem that may not happen again.
The ideal solution.
The ideal solution is to make it trivial to query and change all databases simultaneously.
Dynamic SQL is sometimes classified as Method 1, 2, 3, or 4, depending on how dynamic it is. DBAs need a new type of dynamic SQL, a Method 5, that allows them to specify the targets as easily as they specify the code. A new syntax that allows any statement to run anywhere, in any SQL tool. Something like the Oracle 12c CONTAINERS clause, but much more powerful.
Existing tools have failed to change the way DBAs work because those tools are slow, insecure, and not relational.
Method5 is so fast it will transform the way you work.
Why Method5 is better than your current approach.
- Performance: Asynchronous processing and parallelism make Method5 more responsive and orders of magnitude faster than other tools.
- Simple interface: The PL/SQL API makes it easy to create and automate tasks. No need to learn a new GUI or IDE, Method5 seamlessly integrates with your existing IDE.
- Relational storage: Everything about the database is stored in the database, making it easier to analyze, save, and share results.
- Easy administration: Method5 is agentless. Free and open source software only needs to be installed on one central management database. Users do not need to install custom software, manage connections, or modify configuration files. One administrator can configure Method5 and that configuration automatically applies to all users.
- Security: Method5 has been thoroughly hardened to avoid the typical security problems with multi-database tools. For example, there are no public database links or shared passwords. See the Security section in the user guide for details.
- Exception handling and metadata: Exceptions and metadata are stored in tables and do not stop other targets from processing. Hung jobs are automatically stopped based on a timeout parameter. Handling these rare problems lets you easily scale your queries to hundreds of databases.
Your new mission.
Method5 lets you unleash the full power of SQL and PL/SQL to become a great DBA.
Every time you encounter a problem, spend a minute to look for a way to find it, fix it, and prevent it on all other databases. It only takes one extra line of code to extend your SQL to cover any set of databases.